St Hilda’s is an Anglican church of the Diocese of Singapore, founded in 1934.
The first St Hilda’s Church and School
Archdeacon Graham White bought the present plot of land (with his own funds) in Ceylon Road, Katong when the building standing on it was the Bethel English School. By serving as both a meeting place for believers and a girls’ school, it thus extended God’s kingdom that stretched for about four miles along the south coast, from Tanjong Rhu through Katong to Siglap and inland for about a mile. The church grew rapidly under his devotion and enthusiasm, simultaneously developing a homely atmosphere as a family church.
During the war years, St Hilda’s came to be a sanctuary of peace, as well as a beacon of faith, hope and love to many fear-stricken people. Archdeacon White and his wife died in 1945 in a lonely prison cell.
Revd. John Handy continued God’s work in the post-war depression years by raising with the parishioners $60,000 to build a new chapel.
On 26 January 1949 the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Leonard Wilson and on 17 November, the St. Hilda’s Patronal Festival, Bishop Henry Wolfe Baines consecrated the present church building.
After more than half a century, St Hilda’s can be characterised as a church that consists of a sacramental, evangelical and charismatic community of believers.
The church, in keeping with the teachings of Jesus Christ, continues to administer the two sacraments of the Lord’s institution — Baptism and Holy Communion — as well as other sacramental rites.
The church also affirms the importance of the Bible as the authoritative word of God for faith and conduct. Evangelism by word and deed is also taught and promoted.
As a charismatic church we believe that the Holy Spirit empowers members for witness and service, and the priesthood of believers is greatly encouraged.
St. Hilda’s has continued to flourish over the past years and today it holds a prominent ecumenical position in the east of Singapore. She also has strong ties with St Hilda’s Kindergarten, St Hilda’s Schools and St. Hilda’s Community Services Centre (Love COPE and Friends @ St. Hilda’s Link).
Vision through Mission
St Hilda’s vision is modelled on its founding abbess, St. Hilda of Hartlepool and Whitby, England (AD 614 – 680). She became a shining light to the whole church of God in Britain in those terrible Dark Ages, because in her abbey at Whitby, Yorkshire her mission was to :
- Teach the strict observation of justice, piety, peace, love and chastity
- Spread the good news of God’s love by formal education
- Use songs of gospel and praise, encouraging the young poet Caedmon to write for the simple folk of the day
- Innovate by using local English instead of the traditionally-accepted Latin to spread the Gospel all over the land.
Indeed, St. Hilda was a shining
Beacon of Faith, Hope and Love
True to her name, therefore, St. Hilda’s Church’s vision is to proclaim God’s praises, love and grace to a :
- Broken world : where rejection, hurt, emptiness and sorrow prevail, by using the Word of faith, hope and love
- Closed world : where pride and doubt exist, using the Word of truth
- Hostile world : where spiritual darkness exists, using the Word of life
- Nether world : where the evil one dominates, using the gifts of God — prayer and worship